Friday, July 29, 2011

Oatmeal Cake

I don't know why, but lately I have been missing my Grandma Mayer like crazy! I know not everyone out there knew Grandma Mayer and I feel really bad for you, because she was the most amazing person EVER! I can't believe that she's been gone for over 5 years. It just doesn't seem possible.

Anyway, I've been thinking so much about her.  I don't know if it is because we added a new baby to the family that she will never meet or the fact that Jax will never get to know her. Or maybe it's because the whole family is going to be getting together this weekend for the annual Mayer family campout and it is during those times that I miss her the most.

So I decided that I needed a little reminder of Grandma and I decided to TRY and make her oatmeal cake.  Oatmeal cake was a staple at Grandma's. I remember many, many times going to her house for coffee and she would have a pan of it on the counter.

I did a little research and found her recipe (thank you, Aunt Cheryl) and I got started.  There was one point in time when I was working on the frosting which is definitely the best part and it said to boil for 10 minutes stirring constantly.  So it boiled and I stirred and stirred and stirred. I was thinking there is no way that this is right, 10 minutes?!?!?  I wished that I could call Grandma, I wish that I could hear her voice one more time, and one more time get a little bit of Grandma's advice, but I can't and although I have years and years of wonderful memories, I could have really used her help on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment